Initial ACS assesment
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Initial ACS assesment

Post by uk_ducati » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm

hi

could anybody give me some indication on what to expect on my initial ACS assesment. i am due to atttend 2 days of training and 3 days of assesments in 4 weeks time but cant get any info about what happens on it.

any info would be much appreciated

cheers
paul

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Just re-sat my aplliances and CCN1 in January, the training you get should prepare you for the assessments.

I re-sat CCN1, CKR1, HTR1, CEN1, WAT1, WAH1

The assessments will consist of one closed book paper, and the number of open book papers will depend on what appliances you're taking (WAT1 - water heaters, CEN1 central heating boilers <70kw etc etc) the regulations papers aren't too bad but you get sick of going back and forth through the regs looking for answers - you may also find that some of the answers on the regs aren't in the regs - your assessor should point you in the right direction.

The closed book paper is really things that you should know, what pressure to test at (tightness, letby and stabilisation) etc.

You will also undertake practical assessments, I had to install a gas fire, cooker, warm air unit, find faults on pipework, fault finding on appliances, identifying devices, in my case there were 15 on a rig set up in the center - oxy-pilot, flame rectification, governor, isolation valve, safety shut-off (cooker lid) vapour pressure, mechanical and electrical thermostats etc - You then have to match a written statement to the device. Visually inspect and identify faults on appliances and flues (eg open flue with 90 degree bends, dampers in flues, overheat stat linked out, wrong terminal etc) calculate ventilation sizes, identify appliances with signs of spillage (big black marks on case or around flue) etc, just remember they're not trying to catch you out, just make sure you're safe to be let loose on gas.

All questions are multiple choice, and you wont be failed for getting a few wrong, you get a maximum of 3 attempts per paper then you'd be referred to the examining body. Practical tests, they really want the correct answer first time.

htg

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:43 pm

hi

thanks for that

just a couple of things, is the initial assesment the same content as the re assesments and what do you mean by overheat stat linked out?

paul

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm

hi

just got a letter stating the thory exams

regs 20 questions
regs 23 questions
flues 36 questions
pipework 32 questions
emergence actions and procedures 18 questions
general 18 questions

paul

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm

They put faults on appliances for you to find, some are real faulted parts and some are man made faults (wirewool in gas hob burner, gives inccorrect flame picture, kinked or cut silicone hose on air presure switch etc) the overheat stat had been linked with abit of wire. To simulate a boiler with a overheat problem/faulty OH stat - where the OH stat has been linked out to stop the boiler going off.

Not meaning to un-nerve you but the initial assessments are the toughest, out of 7 candidates on the initial assessment I sat, only 2 of us passed. Basically if you pass the initial assessment after 5 years they know you're working on gas daily and are abit more understanding (about the stress of assessments) and are not as tough on you, although I have known people fail their re-assessments

htg

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:47 pm

cheers for that

i think i will struggle with the break down part of the tests as i have mainly done installs and servicing.

i will have to get my head into some books i think

thanks for your help

paul

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 pm

If you can - get hold of a course book off someone that has recently completed their assessments - should be all the literature you need.

Unfortunately CEN1 is not just about installing.

'regs 20 questions
regs 23 questions
flues 36 questions
pipework 32 questions
emergence actions and procedures 18 questions
general 18 questions'

That is just CCN1, you will have assessment paper per module also (CEN1, CPA1, HTR1 etc)

htg

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:04 pm

ok thanks for that

just one more thing

when you say oxy pilot are you refering to an ODD

paul

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Yes

ODD - Oxygen Depletion Device }
ASD - Atmospheric sensing device } All = Oxypilot
VSD - Vitiation sensing device }

htg
Last edited by htg engineer on Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

you've been a great help

cheers for that

paul

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Mon May 04, 2009 4:28 pm

hi

what sort of questions are asked in the closed book assesments. are they technical like pipe sizing or are they things like how long should a let by test be done for

cheers

paul

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue May 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Even though I only sat them in january, it is quite hard to remember the questions.

It was definatley questions about let-by, tightness testing etc.

I think it asked about the maximum distance equipotential bonding should be from the meter - 600mm.

How should the ECV close ? should fall to the closed postion
Should be labelled, with gas provider, phone number, and on/off label.

If you work on gas daily, you should find it a doddle.

htg

garry38
Labourer
Labourer

ccn1

Post by garry38 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:03 pm

i am due to sit ccn1 and cen1 in few weeks should i still study up on cookers and fires etc. even though im only sitting boilers ( cen 1 ) the reason im asking is because i dont no if there is questions on fires cookers etc in the ccn1 question papers...

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

Post by uk_ducati » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm

hi

yes there are some general questions in the CCN1 paper about cookers and fires. so a bit of reading wouldnt do any harm

paul

ianferguson
Labourer
Labourer

ccn1 test papers

Post by ianferguson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi there first time useing this iste.

Im doing a gas foundation course right now and verry happy with the way it is going.

Ive done 2 test papers so far open book to date...gas safety leg 49 questions fairly straight forward.

Bpec (aw2) writen paper open book 2 (24) question very straight forward aswell...by the time you recieve test papers you should have very could understanding of the questions and what they are asking.

My trainer is one of the best he is very easy going and if your not sure he makes it very easy to understand and will ask you question later closed book as a test to make sure your taken it in.

We all have a great time in class and i now fully understand the need for reg in the gas industry.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 pm