All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
modgod
Labourer
Labourer

Inline Water Filter Installation Advice

Post by modgod » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Hello Fello DIYers,

First post for me on these forums, just made an account to ask for help for this plumbing conundrum, so no pressure!

I fitted an under sink water filter which has its own small worktop mounted tap

This filter is fed by a 1/4" water pipe that is connected in to the washing machine/dishwasher water feed. I'm using a Y splitter to connect the washing machine and dishwasher, the filter is fed by an inline connector that sits between one of the splits of the Y and the washing machine/dishwasher hose.

There seems to be a constant leak coming from one point or another. I assume I'm doing something wrong, I've tried teflon tape and liquid PTFE sealant (expensive!) on all threads aswell as buying a metal Y splitter to match the metal inline adapter for the tap but the best I've been able to get it is working with a slight drip leak (1 drip every 3-4 seconds) this was with the teflon tape and with a plastic Y splitter.

If I return the piping to the original configuration which is the Y splitter feeding the washing machine and dishwasher there are no leaks so the issue is being caused by the inline adapter.

The filter kit originally came with a self cutting tap for the mains water pipe, I installed that and again it leaked even with PTFE tape, could this be a water pressure issue, I am 1st flat on ground floor of block of 9 flats. The company sent me another self cutting tap but I daren't use it after the first messup. That led me to finding the inline filter with the same water pipe feed for the filter.

Another thing to note is that I was sure that there were rubber washers in place between connections and that none were left out.

Any advice I'm stumped

the inline adapter im using -
https://ibb.co/j3ieu6

New Y Splitter that I bought - didnt improve the leak
https://ibb.co/eLOq1m

aleco135
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Inline Water Filter Installation Advice

Post by aleco135 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Hello,

It can be a pain in the back side when you get a leak and can't understand why. Tell me about it!
I fitted a filter myself, a different type to the one you seem to be fitting but I did have a recurring problem with a small leak.
The leak was coming from a rubber seal, so I bought some soluble lubricant from the chemist( its near the condoms) and put a small amount on the either side of the rubber seal. Hey presto! problem solved.
If your leak is from the metal threaded joint, you have to lap the ptfe tape over the top of the joint above the thread where metal meets metal to seal the joint. Be careful not to over tighten the joint. They will damage quite easily.
Hope that helps.

aleco

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:26 pm