Inset stove chimney breast
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
softy1990
Labourer
Labourer

Inset stove chimney breast

by softy1990 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am

I fitted a Invicta 700 mutli fuel inset stove into an existing chimney breast with a flexible flue, closure plate and cowl. Although I have used heat resistant cement and plaster around the surround of the stove I have noticed that immdiately above the stove where the chimney breast gets hot the plaster is cracking, any ideas how to solve this issue, should I have used heat resistant cement and plaster on the entire chimney breast! I didn't because I was advised that I could of just used cement render with finsih plaster but I didn't know whether that was correct, any ideas please, thanks.

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Inset stove chimney breast

by 2tellytel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 am

This may not be the answer you want to hear, however I have a small stove (puffin) and I had similar problem

I decided to chop away the plaster to reveal the brick work, then I made sure it was well pointed up.
You can leave this bare brick or paint I decided to paint

Apart from repainting now and again(I use masonry paint) when doing general decorating it has been fine.

I do however live in a cottage and the exposed painted white brickwork with a black stove looks in keeping.

Hope this helps

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Inset stove chimney breast

by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

you can drylıne the brestıng wıth a foilback plasterboard to reflect the heat

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm