Inspection chamber
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
silverfox
Labourer
Labourer

Inspection chamber

by silverfox » Mon May 14, 2007 9:28 am

I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me on this please. I live in a one storey block of flats over a Chinese Restaurant and an Indian Take-away. I have a badly blocked drain downstairs. I have looked all the way down my alley way and have noticed that all the premises have an inspection chamber (two in some places) When I tried to see where mine was it seem likely it is now underneath a set of concrete steps and a shed that the Chinese people have built there. It is fairly logical to assume that there would be an inspection chamber(s) here as everyone has them. I have had a Plumber spend 5 hours with a high pressure jet trying to unblock it and who is now saying that he hit something really solid and my drains need to be dug up. I really need to know how I can find out if there is indeed an inspection chamber here as the Plumber tells me it would make life a LOT easier. I have called the Environmental people as well. In the opinion and experience of others here, do you think it logical that there would be a chamber situated by my drain. Because I cant see why whoever built this building would decide to just leave me out? Also it would appear that the Indian Take-away dont have an inspection chamber either, I wonder if this is next to mine and underneath the stairs?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Contact your local council where there should be a record of the drainage system in the street. Individual property drainage forms part of the building regulation plans when submitted prior to building so there is a record of what drains have been laid, and where. It would certainly be cheaper to spend a couple of days hunting these records down than digging up the road.

silverfox
Labourer
Labourer

by silverfox » Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to the Council, Land Registry and Thames Water. None of which can locate any drainage plans for the flats I live in. I spoke to the Environmental Health Officer this morning and she told me that they have metal detectors and special equipment to trace inspection chambers etc. She also said it is most likely the Freeholder's responsibility. I hope so.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:28 am