Inspection Pit
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
drpaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

Inspection Pit

by drpaul » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Guy's,

I have just finished building my garage and it includes an inspection pit. I now want to cover it with strips of wood but am unsure what type of wood to use and how thick they should be. I want to be able to drive on it but also for the wood to support cars on jacks.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

drpaul

barnacle bill
Labourer
Labourer

by barnacle bill » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Hello Drpaul,

Why would you want do drive the car on your pit? A pit should be straddled by the car and jacked from either side's, front or back.
If you want to jack the car on the pit timbers, that would be the working's out for a civil engineer. The main consideration would be jacking the car in the centre of the pit were it's most 'flexible' with the load upon it. As i said a civil engineer's job.

BB.

cdavie2002
Labourer
Labourer

by cdavie2002 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Drpaul

Im very interested in your self build inspection pit. Im planning to incorporate an inspection pit into a garage im going to build. I wanted to ask how you built yours and if you had any pictures.

Thanks
Chris

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

inspection pit

by welsh brickie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Why not use metal grating panels you can have them fabricated to size and they are strong enough to drive over

redpis
Labourer
Labourer

by redpis » Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 pm

I've just finished building one, didn't have the room inside my garage so fitted it on the drive, the timber used was 125mm thick bought via the net

redpis
Labourer
Labourer

by redpis » Sun May 29, 2011 9:03 pm

cdavie2002 wrote:Hi Drpaul

Im very interested in your self build inspection pit. Im planning to incorporate an inspection pit into a garage im going to build. I wanted to ask how you built yours and if you had any pictures.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

I shuttered wooden foemwork around rebars and cast the pit, seemed to work ok

Isabella26
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Inspection Pit

by Isabella26 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Building inspection is completely different from running a home inspection for reasons too numerous to list in this article. But the spread of homes over the last twenty years (everyone wants to be, especially in states where licenses home inspection was needed to make it relatively easy for anyone to be approved), has not help either that this has led a growing number of home inspectors who are still unable to properly inspect a house, let alone a commercial building, even if their lives depended on it. Given the number of distinct and significant differences between residential and commercial properties, while the experience of home monitoring may well serve as a prerequisite, it is by no means a replacement for the large amount of knowledge and the experience required, and yet learned by the inspectors of most home before you even start thinking of making a thorough building inspection and thorough.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:04 pm