Instal a programmable control/timer to an older combi
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Instal a programmable control/timer to an older combi

Post by PeteP » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:31 pm

I have an older combi boiler that has a mechanical timer control on the boiler but it's upstairs and after a recent injury I can't get up stairs (and won't be able to for several months ) so I was wondering if it was possible to install an electronic one downstairs to control it. I don't need anything too fancy - just on/off override will do for now, unless there's a simple option to add a programmable one.

I tried searching through the web site but came up blank on this query. Thanks for any help available.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Yes you can replace the timer just how depends on what boiler and timer it is.

If you want the timer downstairs, most of the simple cheap programmable timers will need to be hard wired so a cable will need to be from the boiler to the new timer.

There are now remote wireless timers available which are very simple to install, but are not the cheapest option.

PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteP » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's a Ariston Microgenius 27 MFFI, if that's any help.

I guess what I really meant to ask more specifically was: does the timer simply control the power to the boiler (on/off style) or does it have to be integrated into the boiler's controls?

If it's the power interruption method, presumably I could also just have a normal mains switch installed?

Also, I'll need to get somebody to install this for me - do I need a CH engineer for this work?

Cheers,

Pete.
Last edited by PeteP on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:38 am

The timer has to be incorporated into the boiler circuit otherwise the hot water may not work and anyway, the boiler requires a permanent live.

Who exactly can do electrical connections on the boiler is I believe a grey area. Many Gas Safe engineers (remember. it is not CORGI any more) don't feel able to wire boilers, whilst qualified sparkys are not allowed to remove the lid!

A typical wireless thermostat costs about £80 - £100 plus installation.

There is another way round this though. Do you have a room thermostat? You could replace this stat with the new style programmable stat and either remove or leave the timer upstairs on 24hrs.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Is there not a way of extending the current cable from the upstairs timer to a new downstairs position? In this way the sparky would not need to open the boiler, be gas safe, nor would you need a ch engineer, but would only need to be Part P registered.

PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteP » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks for the information and advice. Very much appreciated. I'll consider my options.

PeteP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteP » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 am

UPDATE: Ariston technical support got back to me about this subject and thought I should post it here for anybody else who is looking into the options. It was more specific to our actual model.

"Yes an external control can be fitted to the external control connector
in the boiler. The switching must be Voltage free. An electrician or a
boiler engineer would do this. Danfoss make a good one at a reasonable
price."

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1