installing a reclaimed tiled fireplace with concrete backing
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deannaw
Labourer
Labourer

installing a reclaimed tiled fireplace with concrete backing

by deannaw » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:58 pm

I have recently purchased a reclaimed 1960's ish tiled fireplace surround. It is in two main sections, a hearth and the surround with mantel. Both sections are based on concrete with the tiles fixed in. While the upright section has clear fixings to tie into the walls I have no idea how to fix down the hearth that it sits on. Do I simply sit it on the floor? Use some sort of tile adhesive? Do I mix a concrete or mortar base to bed it onto? Do I need to excavate some sort of footing? I am planning on using it as part of a solid fuel fire. I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can offer. Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: installing a reclaimed tiled fireplace with concrete bac

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm

you need to install a fire back before installation, its easier.Bed the hearth on sand and cement,on the existing floor,the mantle needs bedding in,on the hearth,and I would use tile grout.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

you need to install a fire back before installation, its easier.Bed the hearth on sand and cement,on the existing floor,the mantle needs bedding in,on the hearth,and I would use tile grout.

deannaw
Labourer
Labourer

by deannaw » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you for your advice. There seems to still be ledges in the chimney opening that the firebricks would sit into so I think that will be fairly straightforward.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:01 pm