Installing a sink in cellar
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
doonhamer
Labourer
Labourer

Installing a sink in cellar

by doonhamer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Learning DIY'er so apologies if this is a stupid question.

I'm undertaking a project to install a kitchen sink and counter unit in my cellar. As part of this, an electrical spur will be installed as a connection for a Saniflo unit used to pump waste from the washing machine and the sink.

Do I need to earth bond the sink? It will be served by copper pipe. If so, where can I connect the earth bond to? Can it be connected to the earth on the fused spur or do I need to take this back to the consumer unit?

Any help much appreciated.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 pm

See the projects section. Earth bonding in the bathroom.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 pm

As with most of the regulations it is easier to find one that says you must do something than be sure non exists. But it is not a bathroom i.e. no bath or shower tray so it does not come under those special regulations. Regulation 544 covers protective bonding conductors and 544.1.2 says the water, gas, etc. need to be bonded as they come into the building. But I can’t find any current regulation which requires you to bond anything in your cellar.
There have been changes and at one time it went daft with window frames, door handles and all sorts being bonded but then it was realised when everything is bonded it can increase the chance of an electric shock so bonding of items connected by plastic pipes was stopped and items like washing machines and Saniflo units have their own earth wires and the former is connected with flexible rubber hose. I will guess the Saniflo is the same so I can’t see any reason for bonding the sink. I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong and if they can quote the regulation I will stand corrected.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi I agree with Eric , no need to cross bond sink as no bath/shower however as basements are often damp if your Fused spur is from a circuit not on an RCD I personally would fit an RCD-Fused spur, they now cost less than £20 plus VAT from several sources. I am using them more & more on things like shower booster pumps for peace of mind.
After end JUNE will have to RCD protect virtually everything anyway so might as well be in there first!!

doonhamer
Labourer
Labourer

by doonhamer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Many thanks to all who replied. Time to get cracking methinks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 am