Installing Cooker Cable and Need Advice on Plans
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hopest
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Cooker Cable and Need Advice on Plans

by Hopest » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

Hi,

So I am going to install a cooker cable.

Done research and just wanted to ask if I haven't thought of anything.

1) Cooker draws 32A - just the over as it has gas hobs.
http://leisurecooker.co.uk/item/CK90F232#Red
2) Electrical cable I am buying is 6.0mm 50M. 47A rating on the cable.
http://www.diy.com/departments/prysmian ... 843_BQ.prd
3) Buy a 32A MCB.

The electric circuit is in the cellar and routing is quite simple.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Tom

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Cooker Cable and Need Advice on Plans

by ericmark » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Volt drop.
Loop impedance.
RCD protection.
De-rating due to cable installation method.
You will likely need earth sleeving.
A cooker isolator
A cooker connection unit
A short length of heat resisting cable.

Other than flex cable does not have a current carrying capacity it all depends on type of cable and installation method.

6mm sq thermoplastic insulated and sheathed flat cable Reference Method C* (Clipped direct) is rated at 47A. But in the main it is installed to Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness) where it is rated at 34A.

Both England and Wales require new circuits to have a compliance or completion certificate you can apply to LABC BEFORE you start and pay their fees, but that means £100 ~ 200 in fees which makes it expensive to DIY.

The reason is so many DIY and maybe more to point kitchen fitters work was sub-standard causing fires and other problems. I personally think the fees are daft and would understand people not complying with the law. However years ago lads would ask me to pop over and look at their work. Today with Part P building regulations I simply refuse so in real terms it's made it more no less dangerous.

England, Scotland, and Wales all have different rules. Personally I don't care what you do. But you need to know when you have broken the law or you may show off your work to wrong guy.

The problem is it also needs gas. Will the gas man keep his mouth closed or is he a jobs worth? Also with an electric cooker we have cooling fans, however with gas cookers they tend not to rely on cooling fans so the cooker can get much hotter than an electric one. So from the cooker connection unit to cooker the cable should be rated at 90 deg C not 70 deg C.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:47 pm