Installing Electric Mirror in Bathroom Without Disturbing the Tiling!

Postby tonetonetone » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:21 pm

So 10 years ago we had a new bathroom but the new fangled electric mirrors weren't on our horizon then. They are now - but I don't want to go to the bother of running cables underneath the tiled floor and up the tiled walls. Seems there's two options:
1. Get an LED mirror operated by batteries - so no electrical connection needed, or
2. Try and get an electrical cable to the point above the sink to facilitate the installation of a swish LED mains operated mirror [possibly with shaver connection too - which you can't get with the battery LED ones].

Is it possible/legal to spur off from the existing electric socket in the adjacent bedroom which is situated on an outside wall - and run a SWA cable out the exterior wall - tack it along the outside of the bathroom wall and then drill a hole and pull it through at just the right height to accommodate the mirror on the bathroom wall?

And although this is a DIY forum - do I actually need to get an electrician in to do this as I'm the householder not an electrician?

If it is feasible - I presume I could drill the holes [in the bedroom wall to the outside] and the bathroom wall and just get the electrician to do the electrical connections? If so, would this be do-able in an hour do you reckon?

Thanks for any advice.
tonetonetone
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:03 am

Yes you could get power using SWA but not really that practical. As to working in a bathroom most countries and principalities with in the UK have laws which if obeyed means that DIY will cost more than getting an electrician in to do the work.

The problem is the councils minimum charge is often set for the first £1000 worth of work. So fee to nearly rewire whole house is the same as in Wales for fitting an extra socket in the kitchen. As said it does vary.

So in the main unless braking the law DIY in a bathroom is just not worth it.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!