installing flue liner
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marret
Labourer
Labourer

installing flue liner

by marret » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:56 pm

This may be a strange question but I was just reading the "Fitting a flexible flue liner PROJECT" and was wondering whether there is a particular reason for carrying the flue liner first onto the roof and then pull it down? It seems to me rather dangerous to get the liner on the roof. Couldn't you just carry a long rope and a pulley onto the roof? The pulley could be used to smoothly bend the rope towards the forecourt or backgarden where your helper could stand firmly with both feet on the ground and pull the liner upwards.
Has anyone tried such a variant or is this really a stupid idea?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:41 pm

marret,
You could try your up-feed suggestion but you will have to form a support structure on the roof for the pulley. If there is plenty of clearance up the flue for the liner you may be successful but only if you can effectively attach a rope to the liner.
end

Ressy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: installing flue liner

by Ressy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:42 pm

[quote="marret"]This may be a strange question but I was just reading the "Fitting a flexible flue liner PROJECT" and was wondering whether there is a particular reason for carrying the flue liner first onto the roof and then pull it down? It seems to me rather dangerous to get the liner on the roof. Couldn't you just carry a long rope and a pulley onto the roof? The pulley could be used to smoothly bend the rope towards the forecourt or backgarden where your helper could stand firmly with both feet on the ground and pull the liner upwards.
Has anyone tried such a variant or is this really a stupid idea?[/quote]

This is the way I always do it, I put a rope securely around the end of the flue liner use gaffer tape to make sure there are no corners to obstruct then pull it up with my mate offering up the chimney, works every time

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:03 pm