Installing French doors and making good
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smothy
Labourer
Labourer

Installing French doors and making good

Post by smothy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:25 am

My friend has taken out a small bay window, enlarged the hole in the wall, and intends to put in a pair of French windows. The hole is now some 6-7' wide and 7-8" high. The doors going in are somewhat lower than this, 6 1/2' or so and some 5' wide, so I have told her to put an 8' lintel in above the doors. At the moment nothing is supporting the wall above, except the bricks themselves. As I intend to help her, I intend putting up 4 acro props, 2 at either end of the gap (in a foot or so from each end) with needles, then remove brickwork at the required height, bed it and insert the lintel on the outer skin. Then reinstate the brickwork above the lintel, removing the props as I rech them. I assume she will also need a lintel on the inner skin to support the joists above?

As I will have to close the brickwork up to the new doors, will I need to put in a double skin, and what is the best way to return it to leave a tidy finish inside? Or could I put up the outer skin, flush to the new casing and then just box out the interior returns?

The lass is skint, which is what got her into this fix in the first place by trying to improve her home and save a few quid, so I want to try and help her out.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:47 pm