Installing integrated appliances in kitchen
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
millieminder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing integrated appliances in kitchen

by millieminder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm

The new kitchen is going in well, but we are a bit stumped by the integrated dishwasher and washing machine being only 820mm high, when the units are 870mm. How do we deal with this difference? They don't seem to have long legs to screw out - just little adjuster ones at the front. They are Electrolux appliances, purchased from Wickes with a Wickes kitchen.

Any guidance appreciated...

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Generally if the appliance is not high enough, stand it on a piece of wood ( the piece of worktop you cut out for the sink is good).

The legs ought to be long enough. Have you wound them fully out???

millieminder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millieminder » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Plumbbob

Thanks for your help. After a bit of further reading of the small print, I find that the two appliances have different requirements.

The dishwasher has longish legs that you can wind up - you can reach the front two from the front, and the central back one is connected to an adjuster, also accessible from the front.

The washing machine has to be placed on a suitable solid plinth, and the front legs allow for a little micro-adjustment for level.

I dread ever having to bring the washing machine out - or worse, put it back in. It is so heavy, and the tolerances around it are tiny, so any deviation from a straight line would cause it to jam. I think I'll try and get a second plinth made, to put in front of the permanent one, so the machine can be slid out onto it, and then pushed back in all on the level.

I hope these musings help someone else. Even if it just helps them to decide to live with 'ordinary' appliances that have done me fine for 25 years so far. These ones seem like too much hassle!

Cheers

MM

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:25 pm

I had to re-drill the door so that the hinges matched up, you can buy the proper hinge drill bit from B&Q for £20ish.

htg

millieminder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millieminder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks, htg engineer, we haven't got that far yet... So, more expense.

MM

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 pm

What I have done before is use a piece of worktop turned upside down as a "plinth" for the washing machine. Whatever type of flooring you decide to have, make sure it extends under where the washer (not the dishwasher) will be then you should be able to slide the "plinth" in and out with the washer still sitting on top. Trying to lift the washer off and on to the raised level will be nigh on impossible.

millieminder
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millieminder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm

With thanks to all who have taken an interest, here is an update.

The dishwasher has been adjusted up to height by means of its three legs, two front and one back, all adjustable from the front.

For the washing machine, we purchased a pair of appliance rollers or trolleys (from an auction site...) and have permanently placed the machine on them. They have a brake lever, and the washing machine sits still and quietly on them. This has solved the double problem of raising the height of the machine, and allowing it to be moved out if necessary. It seems like a good solution for now. We went for the ones rated for 200+kg each, and are now hoping they will last the course...

victoria19
Labourer
Labourer

by victoria19 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 am

Actually in my kitchen, I need to have a wire integrated appliances in a kitchen plug and socket or fused spur. But I don't know how. My friends told me to have the socket in an adjacent cupboard. But I think it is better if you will consult an electrician.

Zander
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Installing integrated appliances in kitchen

by Zander » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:48 am

Maybe that it would be great to stand it on a piece of wood so that it takes a good high of your appliances. To deal it with, you must have a variation of tools to be used. And also try to determine the high advantage of the dishwasher.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:06 am