Installing Laminate Flooring Around Doors and Next to Tiles - How to Overcome Height Difference?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Labyrinth
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Laminate Flooring Around Doors and Next to Tiles - How to Overcome Height Difference?

by Labyrinth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am

I'm going to be installing laminate wood flooring in my living room. I'm confident with installing the flooring around the door frame, by cutting into the frame slightly at the level of flooring & underlay and it slotting in nicely.

The bit i'm struggling with is our hallway has ceramic tiles and when the tiler installed them he cut the tiles to fit the doorframe instead of cutting into the frame and slotting them underneath, which is fine he did a great job. My issue now is when i come to install the laminate flooring and underlay there is going to be a height difference between the floors. What can i do about this? Is there a particular type of threshold strip that can be laid between rooms with different flooring of different heights?

Many thanks for any help/advice

thedoctor

Re: Installing Laminate Flooring Around Doors and Next to Tiles - How to Overcome Height Difference?

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:41 pm

It depends on the height difference. If its only a couple of mm you will find most flooring guys will double-upon the underlay to raise the laminate as it gets towards the door in question. If this is not possible a hardwoord strip is used (cut to a ramp shape) to provide a gentle slope between levels. This strip is also cut to the door frame profile.

There is no joining strip which will differentiate between levels other than a right angle corner strip (each side being approx 20mm) which in your case would sit on top of the tiles with the leg being cut down so it sits on top of the laminate. Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:21 pm