Installing new central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keen2try
Labourer
Labourer

Installing new central heating

by keen2try » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm looking to install CH in my 2-bedroom semi. I've seen an offer of 82000BTU boiler, flue, 7 radiators with valves for £700. I'm keen to do some of the work myself, such as the radiators/plumbing. I'd be very grateful for any tips on where to start, makes of boiler, etc.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 am

What's the make and model of the boiler ?

Hanging radiators, installing pipework for the radiators, cold and hot water will be fine. But you should leave the boiler, flue and gas pipework for a CORGI registered installer. Not only for safety but you also need the certification for the manufacturers warranty.

htg

keen2try
Labourer
Labourer

by keen2try » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks for replying. It's a Biasi Riva Compact Condensing C24 boiler. The deal is from a good local builders merchants and includes 7 radiators up to 30000BTUs, 7 TRVs and 7 lockshield valves (incl VAT).

I wouldn't touch any of the gas fitting, I'd leave that for someone qualified. I'd thought of putting the pipework under the floor, by running a 'spine' of pipes from back to front, with pipes off to each radiator. But it would mean drilling through the joists so is it worth it?

I'm just not sure where to start so any advice or pointers is much appreciated.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi keen2try

If you need to sell the house, who is going to give you a certificate that the boiler was fitted IAW the Regs.

HIP are here, sellers and buyers are now finding out to their cost that not all DIY is good fun. Solicitors are asking for boiler certificates, Be warned.

As your user name implies, go careful

Regards
Skids

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:28 am

It is the silly things that go wrong with DIY I did mine 25 years ago and I did not drill big enough holes in the beams to get felt pads in holes and the pipes have creaked since I have fitted it. It works yes but to correct I would need to remove and refit every joint. Also things are improving every month and unless in the trade you can be 5 years out of date. I would have a look at some new builds and see how they are done.
As well as the plumbing area which I am not qualified in you now have stricter rules for the electric side and solicitors are also asking for certificates for the electrical part. Always the installation certificate will need issuing and some times also building control completion certificates.
Again it is silly bits that one gets wrong like height of thermostat mounted at the top of the 1200mm to 1400mm range for items needing close vision under Part M regulations. And with the new BS7671:2008 now in force type and route of cables become more important or you may find you need to change a consumer unit to take RCD's.
All best Eric

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1