installing shower waste under difficult floor!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

installing shower waste under difficult floor!

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:35 pm

i've pulled up all the boards in my bathroom as they were cupped and many had been cut to bits for old pipes in previous bathroom. i am going to board out with wbp plywood so i can tile.

this is going to give me a problem however. once the ply is down i cant get access underneath it to connect the shower waste. i dont want to cut the end of the ply to give me access because i want all edges supported by joists ready for tiling.

has anybody encountered a similar problem? aside from cutting into the ceiling below is there any other way i can tackle this, ie attach the waste to the tray beforehand?

in hindsight, i'd have kept the boards down and fixed the ply to that. then i could have removed the boards to get access and put them back down again and there would be no unsupported ends to the ply. but they are gone now, and i didnt want there to be too big a difference in the height of the floors where they meet.

also what is the best way to bed an acrylic shower tray to plywood? is cement suitable? i was thinking of using floor tile adhesive. or is it indeed strictly necessary if the floor is good 'n' true?

thanks

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am