Installing Solar Panels on a Flat Garage Roof
Find help, tips and information on renewable energy sources such as solar, wind etc.... and also alternative energy & heating production.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jos Dennis
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Solar Panels on a Flat Garage Roof

by Jos Dennis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 pm

I have a large garage at end of my long garden, with one side of roofing facing south. There is an electric mains supply to the garage via armoured cable. If I wanted to install pv panels to the roof , can the energy produced be sent back to my meter/fuse board position using the cable already installed or would a new cable be required. The later I wouldn't fancy doing as its a long complicated route back through the garden/house to reach meter/fuseboard position and I'm sure new cabling would be disruptive.

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Installing Solar Panels on a Flat Garage Roof

by DIYDoctor1 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi Jos,
If you are going to feed electricity back into the mains (and receive the Feed in Tariff) this will have to go in via the main circuit board/ fuse box where the generation meter will be situated. The inverter will need to be situated close to the panels.

To receive the Feed in Tariff (FIT) you will need to get the system installed by an MCS accredited installer. Cost have come down enormously in recent years so it might be worth exploring prices and getting quotes:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/

They will be able to confirm which aspect of the project that they are happy for you to do yourself and which they will prefer to do.

Jos Dennis
Labourer
Labourer

by Jos Dennis » Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks DIYDoctor re info on feedback into the mains/tariff.
I assume from what you say that the answer to my main question is that I will not be able to use the existing cable feeding the garage supply i.e to take electricity generated by panels and through inverter to the mains board in the house then?
thanks
Jos

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately no, you won't be able to do this. You will need to lay a new cable. Remember, you will need to get the system signed off by an MCS qualified installer in order to qualify for the feed in tariff.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Solarpanelfunding
Labourer
Labourer

by Solarpanelfunding » Tue May 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Most MCS approved installers will more than likely want to complete all electrical work them selfs if they are to sign it off. So make sure you speak with them first before carrying out any work.

Regards

Damien

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:05 am