Insulating a 9 inch solid external brick wall.
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Converter
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating a 9 inch solid external brick wall.

by Converter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:38 am

I am planning to convert my part integral garage to living accomodation. I have the design underway and will be applying for building regs soon. The front 8ft of the garage protrudes form the front of the house. The walls at this point are solid 9inch walls with no cavity.

Is there any way that I can "dry line" these without including a cavity so as to keep as much room in the already rather narrow garage as possible. Obviously any suggested solution must comply with the building regs.

mikester
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mikester » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 pm

You are likely to need some insulation as well as a DPC (if not already there) also some kind of vapour barrier

I did something similar to this recently. I used 12mm plasterboard with a layer of ecotherm boards (£16 plus vat for 8 x6 ft sheet from jewson) sandwiched between the plasterboard and the brick. Fixed with 100mm screws & plugs.

Building inspector passed it but it was only on one wall.

I would definitaly check with building control first but I believe theres no rule saying that you have to have a cavity for a wall to meet regs.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:16 pm