Insulating Brick Built a Garage Roof for use as Workshop and Office
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

BenH
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating Brick Built a Garage Roof for use as Workshop and Office

by BenH » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:46 am

Hi folks,

I've just moved into a Victorian house with a detached brick-built garage that seems to be of similar age. It's got a pent roof that's tiled but doesn't appear to have any felt. There are joists going down the slope of the roof.

I'm interested in dividing it in two and using one half as a workshop and one as an office. I was looking at putting insulation between the joists then putting plasterboard over that, but having done a bit of reading it seems more complicated than that and I'd be grateful for any advice that could be offered.

Would I be better off using extruded insulating boards between the joists, or the wooly stuff? Will I need a 50mm gap between the insulation and the tiles, the insulation and the plasterboard or both? Or neither?!?

I'm thinking of heating it either with blasts from a fan heater or, preferably, a small wood burner.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a newbie at this. I'm also assuming I'll need to comply with building regs for the office part, but will I for the workshop which isn't really changing its use?

It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:21 pm