Insulating Eaves over wall gap?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grobbarg
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating Eaves over wall gap?

Post by grobbarg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi, hope someone can help - we are currently insulating the eaves space in our house, both for sound proofing (next to busy road) and thermal. The house has granite external walls and lath/plaster inner walls with approx. 50mm gap between. At the eaves floor level I've laid Rockwool between joists over and up to the outer edge of the granite wall top, using baffles to keep the insulation away from the soffits and roof boards. This has greatly reduced the noise reverberating down the walls and already noticed 5 DegC increase in temperature at ceiling/wall.

However, I'm wondering if the gap between the walls will remain sufficiently ventilated to prevent condensation build up if insulation is sitting on top?

Any advice greatly appreciated...

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Insulating Eaves over wall gap?

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 am

only time will tell keep checking every couple of weeks

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 2tellytel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

I am speaking as a person who is not an advocate of cavity wall insulation , cavities came in for a reason.

Therefore I would not lay the insulation over the gap, but then it is just my opinion.

Also when insulating lofts make sure the loft is well ventilated

grobbarg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by grobbarg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

OK Cheers WB, just concerned we get mould growing somewhere we can't see or get to.
I suppose I could hang a humidty sensor down the gap to monitor, but that might go up and down with the weather anyway.

grobbarg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by grobbarg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

2tellytel wrote:I am speaking as a person who is not an advocate of cavity wall insulation , cavities came in for a reason.

Therefore I would not lay the insulation over the gap, but then it is just my opinion.

Also when insulating lofts make sure the loft is well ventilated

We really need to have some kind of insulation for noise and cold, I wonder if we could place some plastic corrugated (cut from roofing) panels under the insulation from wall to soffit to allow air flow up through the wall from solum to soffits?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:58 pm