Insulating existing 70's Dormer pitched bedroom roof ?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
palwing
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating existing 70's Dormer pitched bedroom roof ?

by palwing » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:46 am

Hi

We have a 2 bed dormer bungalow built in 1970. The two bedrooms are in the roof space and have sloping ceilings/walls from about 1 metre high to the flat ceiling. However, I have measured the temperature of the pitched part and it is considerably lower in winter than the other internal walls. (and hotter in summer)

For instance, in winter it's 10'C where as the other walls are 17'C. The bedrooms are hard to keep warm in winter and are hot in the summer. My guess is that the insulation betwen the artexed plaster and outside roof tiles is minimal.

I do not want to strip all the plaster board off the inside of the bedrom and re-insulate between the joists, but do want to do something about this.

So, I have been thinking about stapling a layer of the foil covered bubblewrap insulation (Screwfix do some) onto the plasterboard and then battening and plasterboarding over that.

Any thoughts, tips or recommendations about this appreciated.

Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 pm

palwing,
Suggest you use plasterboard with a layer of insulation bonded to it - preferably urethane. Stick this straight onto the existing plasterboard. you should do some calculations to make sure you will not get condensation between the layers.
end

palwing
Labourer
Labourer

by palwing » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Stoneyboy

Thanks for the reply. I will check out insulated plasterboard, which sounds ideal. It's only the bedrooms that are affected so don't expect too much of a condensation problem there, but worth considering.

I poked a hole in the plasterboard between the roof tiles and inside the house today. NOTHING..just a 4 inch air gap betwen my pitched bedroom ceiling and the felt under the tiles! No wonder I am losing so much heat!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm