Insulating Gargage Wall
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pzz5jp
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating Gargage Wall

by pzz5jp » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before, but struggling to get the same answer of more than one person, so thought I'd try my luck here!

I'm planning on insulating a wall between the garage and the house. It's only a single skin termalite block with plasterboard on the internal house side.

My plan is to paint masonary sealer on the garage side and build a 3 x 2 stud frame on the wall (using the guide here) Then fill this this Wickes General Purpose Insulation Slabs and finally put vapour control plasterboard over the top.

My problems are,
1. I can't find an data on the Wickes slabs so not sure how effective they are.
2. Should I be using something like Kingspan ridgid blocks instead of the Wickes stuff.
3. Do I need to leave a GAP anywhere? For example, if the stud is 3 x 2, the Wickes slabs are 50mm thick, so should the frame be 2" deep?

Any help would be great as this is the first time I've every done anything like this!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm

pzz5jp,
Assuming the wall and garage floor are dry I would suggest drylining the garage with plasterboard with insulation bonded to the back.
end

pzz5jp
Labourer
Labourer

by pzz5jp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]pzz5jp,
Assuming the wall and garage floor are dry I would suggest drylining the garage with plasterboard with insulation bonded to the back.
end[/quote]

stoneyboy thanks.

A mate of mine today suggested Thermaline Super 60mm boards as they have a built in vapour layer. So think I'll go with that. It's only a small area as just had a door put in, so was thinking of attaching using a few tubes adhesive as I can get it cheap of a mate.

My only questions would be, do I still need to use Masonary Sealer first? and once installed, should I get it finished? Don't really want to as in the garage so don't see the point, unless the insulation degrades if I don't. Also no good at plastering myself!!

Thanks again for the help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 pm

pzz5jp,
since you are effectively working with an internal wall I would not bother with sealing or finishing.
end

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:33 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]pzz5jp,
since you are effectively working with an internal wall I would not bother with sealing or finishing.
end[/quote]

If it was the other side of his garage and it was a single skin brick what would you suggest?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm

acsimpson,
If it is a single skin outside wall you need to form an inner wall with a ventilated cavity.
end

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 am