Insulating my integral garage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Glyn1
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating my integral garage

Post by Glyn1 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:43 am

Morning. First timer here. Hope you can help....
I have just had asbestos removed from the ceiling of my integral garage and I want to insulate the now open joist area as this is the floor to my daughters bedroom and it is always the coldest room in the house as there was no exhisting(?) insulation there. Is there a minimum thickness of insulation I need to put up, which is best, solid or fibre. I know I will need to re-board the ceiling in fireboard but is there anything else I need?
Two walls in the garage are internal single thickness breeze block walls with the house and I want to insulate and board these as well. What process do I need to employ in order to do this; what type/thickness insulation, plasterboard or fireboard??? Do building regs come into all this? The garage is still going to be used as a garage, so theres no change of use, I just want to make sure I do things right. Any help would be much appreciated. :?

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Fri May 01, 2009 5:47 pm

I suggest a conversation with building control, because as a garage ceiling, with accomodation over, the regs are very strict on fire proofing, in case your vehicle self combusts.
As to the insulation, I think the current regulation on new build would be 6"of Celotex type, or 1C" of Rockwool type.
For the walls, batten with 2" timber and infill with 2" Celotex

Glyn1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Glyn1 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks. I will get in touch with building control and check up with them.

Chut
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Chut » Tue May 26, 2009 9:30 am

Glyn - how did it go getting the asbestos from the garage?
I am thinking of getting the asbestos removed from our integral garage (1960s house) but I am not sure that the garage is fully sealed and worried about the asbestos fibres getting into the rest of the house. Are you glad you had it done?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1