Insulating my internal walls.

Postby keatzo » Sat May 15, 2010 12:38 am

I have recently moved into a new property and we have been informed that due to the construction we can not have cavity wall insulation. I decided to remove existing plaster boards on the internal walls and build a wooden frame,install kingspan/celotex and then refit new plaster boards.I have been told by a friend that i need to fit a membrane to avoid any damp issues. If this is the case how do i fit a membrane and do i need to allow somewhere for any collected water to drain to?
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:22 am


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Once you have exposed an area of the internal leaf of your outside wall you should get a surveyor (your local building inspector may help for a fee) in to advise you on the type of construction which will be suitable. If you don't get it right you are likely to get condensation within the structure.
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby keatzo » Mon May 17, 2010 1:52 am


Thanks for that, i'll check with the local authoritys.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:22 am

Postby Perry525 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 pm

in 1992 the then Government brought out a new British Standard, that recommended that buildings in the west of the UK, that are subject to driving rain should not have cavity wall insulation.
Depending on where you are, that may be of interest.
I wonder why your home was plaster boarded, was there damp?
If there was/is has it been cured?
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Postby TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes
Posts: 16777215
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics