Insulating / Plastering beneath bedroom bay window
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scroogemonster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Insulating / Plastering beneath bedroom bay window

by scroogemonster » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:18 pm

I need to remove the plasterwork beneath a bedroom bay window in order to insulate behind it. It is a timber frame and weatherboard construction and freezing cold in the winter. The inside is lath and plaster and very crumbly,the outside looks quite new and undamaged so removing the inside seems the better option.
Once I remove the lath and plaster I plan to unsulate with kingspan as thick as possible and a vapour barrier.
Do I just screw plasterboards to the timber frame/batons on the inside and re-skim. What exactly is the structure of these wooden frames? I wont really know what I'm up against until I remove the plaster on the inside.
Any information on the construction of the bay window frame and how to replaster would be appreciated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:54 pm

scroogemonster,
Yes just remove old plaster and after insulating wall screw plasterboards up to timber. Then plaster wall.
KB

scroogemonster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by scroogemonster » Sun May 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi there,
I have just started the above project and removed the internal lath and plaster. I have the insulation in place and I am ready to start boarding/skimming.

I have one question.

Where the timber frame meets the brick wall (beneath the small side window of the bay). Do I board completely across this to cover the brick wall and the frame. Or do I just board over the frame area and plaster over the bricks and then the plaster board.

Originally there was a thick (1 inch) coat of plaster going across the bricks and onto the wooden frame. What is the best way to proceed.? Can I cover it all with thistle one coat or do I plaster the bricks seperately and then skim over the board and the undercoat plaster on the bricks?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:38 pm