Insulating Stone Wall Farmhouse and Air Movement

Postby Donstar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:39 pm

I reside in an old farmhouse made from stone. The exterior walls are just one thick wall, followed by a gap, then the lathen plaster. My intention is to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, fill with glass wool insulation roll, then add plasterboard.
My question is will there still be sufficient air movement to prevent damp etc if the glass wool is touching the wall and plasterboard, or do I need to still leave a gap (will be hard to do with glass wool).
Thanks
Donstar
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 pm

its best to create a stud wall and leave an air gap, I would use a hardback insulation board like celotex or kingspan, its a better quality insulation
welsh brickie

Postby Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am

Donstar wrote:I reside in an old farmhouse made from stone. The exterior walls are just one thick wall, followed by a gap, then the lathen plaster. My intention is to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, fill with glass wool insulation roll, then add plasterboard.
My question is will there still be sufficient air movement to prevent damp etc if the glass wool is touching the wall and plasterboard, or do I need to still leave a gap (will be hard to do with glass wool).
Thanks

My suggestion would be to remove the lathen on the exterior walls, then apply high permeable, breathable thermal plaster. No gap would be required if breathable plaster is used which delivers U value as well.

Regards, Alexander
Attachments
Benchmark 2.jpg
Bauwer
Progress to next rank:
73.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!