Insulation with Kingspan
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davejohnston
Labourer
Labourer

Insulation with Kingspan

Post by davejohnston » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi,

I'm moving into an old semi with solid walls. I'd like to add a bit of insulation to a few rooms.

Kingspan seems to a popular choice, but I wanted to see if there were any issues with installing.

From what I can see you attach 25mm treated battons to the wall, and then screw the kingspan boards directly to that.

This would effectively leave a small cavity between the kingspan and the solid wall (is this ok?)

Also, how do I bring the power sockets/fittings through the kingspan, can I just use longer screws to attach faceplates to the existing sockets?

I would also like to take the opportunity to bring an additional TV cable from the attic, and run speaker cable round the room. Is there any issue running this through the void between the kingspan and the solid wall ?

Cheers for any advice, hints or tips

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

You can buy plasterboard with a polystyrene backing that is stuck direct to the wall.
This provides a better end result as screws and wood are not very good insulators.
Cut channels in the wall to place your cables before fitting plasterboard/polystyrene.
Fit pieces of wood or blobs of plaster to the backs of boxes to bring them forward into the correct position.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 pm