integral garage conversion - damp proofing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul101
Labourer
Labourer

integral garage conversion - damp proofing

by paul101 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:46 am

I had an integral garage ( cavity walls) converted about fifteen years ago....it is concrete floor which had a liquid dpc membrane on it with screed on top.....about five years ago we had a burst pipe which left us with water against one wall inside the room but against the external wall the water was probably there for weeks before we realised......Now when decorating I see the damp has loosened the plaster which i have now removed and the brickwork seems to be sound. I now see that the room floor is below the house dpc ....looking on websites i see that current advice is that the underfloor dpc should have been linked to the house dpc......clearly that has not happened......

I am concerned that if i replaster i am bridging the wall dpc although on the inside of the house......is this a problem ? should i replaster and probably be ok for many more years or should the wall beneath the dpc be treated with anything.........any advice please

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun May 04, 2008 3:36 pm

PAUL,

IF YOU CAN REVEAL THE UNDER SCREED MEMBRANE LAYER AT THE PERIPHERY OF THE FLOOR.

THEN COAT THE REVEALED AREA (PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THIS) AND UP THE WALL TO DPC LEVEL WITH LIQUID MEMBRANE AND ALLOW TO DRY AND THROW SHARP SAND ONTO THE SURFACE OF A SECOND COAT OF LIQUID MEMBRANE TO PROVIDE KEYED SURFACE FOR PLASTER, THEN I THINK YOU WILL RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

ALDA.

paul101
Labourer
Labourer

by paul101 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Have had a company out ( seemed decent) who say damp is coming through concrete floor as well - have advised membrane across floor and up wall to level of dpc.....this will be covered with screed.......cost of aroundf £200....... if I go for this can i lay underlay and carpet on top of the screed or do i need batons and plywood first ?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am

PAUL,

THATS A GOOD PRICE!!

BUT DOES THAT INCLUDE THE PLASTERING?

BUT GET A COUPLE MORE PRICES SO THAT YOU FEEL CONFIDENT WITH WHAT THE JOB ENTAILS, THE PEOPLE DOING IT FOR YOU AND THE MONEY SIDE OF THINGS.

IT SHOULD BE OK TO DO WHAT YOU ASK, BUT ENSURE NEW SCREED IS THOROUGHLY DRY BEFORE LAYING YOUR FLOOR COVERING.

CHEERS,

ALDA.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 am