Internal block wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrewkay9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Internal block wall

by andrewkay9 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:30 pm

What is the maximum height and length I can build an internal single leaf block wall, without any other additional block support, i.e columns/ reveals etc.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Do you mean totally free standing, attached to nothing at all?
If so don't do it.
Should it be knocked over, its very heavy and dangerous.

andrewkay9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Single leaf block wall

by andrewkay9 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes, I do agree with you that a free standing wall would be dangerous. However in my case I was going to tie it in to right angled walls either end of the wall and as it goes through to the first floor I was going to fasten joists to either side for my flooring.

But going back to my question was is the maximum height and length I can build an internal wall without supporting blocks?

cheers

Andy

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:56 pm

It has been normal practice to build single leaf internal walls to roof level as dividing walls between rooms as long as they are built into a property as you propose.
If this proposal is a new wall? Then you need to give serious consideration to its finished weight and how you can provide adaquate foundations for it and what effect it may have on the existing property.
I would suggest that you consult your local council before starting work.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am