internal wall/floor damp in garage
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
de blanc
Labourer
Labourer

internal wall/floor damp in garage

by de blanc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 pm

I have a garage @ the bottom of garden.

The smooth cement floor is about 200mm below garden level
especially in winter there is a fine layer of moisture on the side of the floor that is next to the garden facing internal wall.
Damp occurs in an area of 3 ft from the internal wall
Other wall is joined to nxt-doors garage & there has never been any damp
within seven feet of that internal wall.

During summer there is white salt marks on side of floor nxt to damp wall.

Internal wall has damp @ a height of 3ft as you walk in from the garden( white salt marks more evident in summer).
Then damp slowly tapers down as you walk away, 8ft from entrance to a height of 1 1/2ft.

The cement on wall becomes very powdery, floor cement notso it is all in one piece no powdreing or cracks, just surface water.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 am

the white stuff is salt crystals forming on the walls technical term is effloressance.
The problem is the soil against the garage, any soil against the wall will cause damp and will creep along the wall.

de blanc
Labourer
Labourer

solution?

by de blanc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:17 pm

I posted the problem which I have, rising damp in garage wall & floor, could someone please give the method, tools & materials which I need to solve this problem.

thankyou.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:03 pm

As the post above says, get the soil away from the wall. Go to the DIY projects section where there are about 10 projects associated with damp proofing of one kind or another. Every bit of advice, plus tools, products and even a free advice number can be found there.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 pm