Interpreting Part P.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Liam
Labourer
Labourer

Interpreting Part P.

by Liam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi all,

Two questions.

1: According to part P, under [b]Work Type[/b]. "Installation of an additional socket.", I just want to make sure I understand the limits of this.

What I wish to do is drill through an interior wall (structural), directly behind an existing single socket into the adjoining room, and fit a surface mounted socket on that wall, connected to the existing socket.

Is this permissable under part P?

Also, with relation to part P [b]Work Type[/b]. "Addition of fused connection unit to ring final circuit." Can I change a double surface mounted socket to a single socket and single fused spur, and then run a supply from that spur to (no more than four) wall mounted spot lights. These will be low wattage, and the supply will run along (or inside if there is such a product) a picture rail, just to illuminate some photographs. Total length of supply from spur, less than 5m.

It's my Grandmother's house, so I if I'm not allowed to do the work, then I'll pay up and get a registered sparky in.

Cheers

Liam

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 pm

You can add or extend to exsisting circuits, without building controls being involved(doc.P).
You can install FCU to ring final circuit then spur from that using 13amp protection for power circuits. The spur for the light will need to be offered a lower discrimination so adding FCU at 3amps would be okay for up to 6 100watt lamps total power (watts)/voltage(230v)= 2.61Amps.
As stated before this is not notifiable work but! (and there always is one) does require at least a minor works certificate.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 pm

you don't state the nature of the room you are going into, let us know as some types of room are notifiable even for extensions.
have a look at screwfix online, they do some nice contoured trunking which will look nicer on the picture rails. Also there is a requirement in the building regs I believe for the minimum thickness of wall between too sockets mounted like this. can't remember it off the top of my head, and it's too cold to go out to my van to look it up! KB might know or you could try googling it!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:46 am

This is from memory so forgive me, guidelines are that chases should not be more than one third deepth of wall being chased. So if a wall was say 100m deep and you was chasing out both sides of wall in the same area, you would be only allowed to chase out 33mm of wall in total at that point, but also guidelines say that chases should be at least 300mm a part. Work that one out?
Socket out-let back boxes standard size 25mm so that would mean if back to back wall would need to be 150mm deep. But the above guidelines are for chasing out for cables and not back boxes. This is to assure stabillity of wall if a stud wall can't see a problem.
I think this is an the spot assessment. But wall mounted sockets anyway so can't see a problem!
KB

Liam
Labourer
Labourer

by Liam » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi all,

and thanks for the replies.. apologies for not getting back sooner. A mate in my local club is a fully paid up sparky, and I asked him his thoughts over a pint. After getting some info for him.. consumer unit specs etc. he said he wouldn't do the work, as there is not enough protection.. no RCD? possible bonding problems (6mm instead of 10?) etc.. etc..

This means that I'll use an extention lead instead of installing the socket, and I'm going to get a directional ceiling lamp (not sure which one yet) to cover the picture lights.

The good thing is.. I didn't kill myself.. or form the potential (:)) to do so :) and I know that my mate isn't a bodger. I knew that anyway.. but it's always nice to have it confirmed..

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

Liam

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm