Is it a Bad Idea to Fit Double Glazed Windows and Doors That Have Been in Storage for 20 Years?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grust
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it a Bad Idea to Fit Double Glazed Windows and Doors That Have Been in Storage for 20 Years?

Post by Grust » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

22 years ago I installed good quality woodgrain effect PVCu windows and doors in a small terraced cottage. The supplier then told me that the finish was faulty and was expected to fade and they had to replace them. As I had just purchased the cottage next door and the windows and doors were exactly the same size I had an idea. Rather than take out the faulty ones and refit the new ones, could I deal with any problems arising with the windows and they just supply the replacements for me to fit in the second cottage later on. They agreed.

In the event, other things happened in my life and I never got around to renovating the property next door until now. The replacement doors and windows have remained in their packaging in my shed, stored upright resting on their longest edge.

How much have PVCu frames moved on over the last 20 -odd years and would it be a false economy to use them?

The windows are not particularly large – they were for replacing standard size sash windows but have the fixed rail across the middle and a top opening light.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

(By the way, the original windows did fade as expected but have served me well.)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is it a Bad Idea to Fit Double Glazed Windows and Doors That Have Been in Storage for 20 Years?

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:01 am

the only thing you will need to change is the glass, to come up to standard you need to install low E glass in the frames, other than that they should be fine

Grust
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is it a Bad Idea to Fit Double Glazed Windows and Doors That Have Been in Storage for 20 Years?

Post by Grust » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:57 am

welsh brickie wrote:the only thing you will need to change is the glass, to come up to standard you need to install low E glass in the frames, other than that they should be fine

Thank you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:24 am