Is it legal - or not ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
omulcol
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it legal - or not ?

Post by omulcol » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Can anyone here shed some light on electrical safety regulations - relevant to re-wiring a house ?

A friend's husband ( a DIYer) has completely re-wired a three storey house they recently purchased , and buried the cables ( with multi finish) into the chases without using conduit .
Also there is no evidence of any bonded wiring to copper pipes anywhere - eg: in the bathroom, or kitchen.
I warned my friend the work was probably illegal under present regulations - and thought she needed to notify the council before starting work ... so it could be inspected, tested, and certificated upon completion -especially as they intend renting the house to multiple lodgers.

Now she's worried I may be right in my assumptions - but I'm only guessing the advice I've given her is correct.

Can anyone enlighten me in layman's terms the proper procedures to follow when attempting this type of work ?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Oh dear,

you are partly correct, it is permissable to bury cables if they go vertically or horizontally between fittings, However you are also correct to say they have broken the law by doing this work without registering the work with their local authority BEFORE STARTING! and paying an inspection fee for part p. now they have a problem as no electrician is permitted to test and issue a completion cert. for someone elses work.........
However a periodic inspection can be carried out and a cert issued if work ok, this does not alter the legal position in which the diyer can face jail (2years) plus unlimited fines........
the other option would have been to have the work done by a registered electrician, would he have done gas work himself.(corgi rules!) it's the same thing now.
regards SPARX

omulcol
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by omulcol » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 pm

[quote="sparx"]Oh dear,

you are partly correct, it is permissable to bury cables if they go vertically or horizontally between fittings, However you are also correct to say they have broken the law by doing this work without registering the work with their local authority BEFORE STARTING! and paying an inspection fee for part p. now they have a problem as no electrician is permitted to test and issue a completion cert. for someone elses work.........
However a periodic inspection can be carried out and a cert issued if work ok, this does not alter the legal position in which the diyer can face jail (2years) plus unlimited fines........
the other option would have been to have the work done by a registered electrician, would he have done gas work himself.(corgi rules!) it's the same thing now.
regards SPARX[/quote]
==============================================
Thanx for the information SPARX , I'll pass it on ... and leave them to sort the mess out themselves.
Very grateful for your reply - cheers !

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm