Is it oil or water based on my interior doors ?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nj3434
Labourer
Labourer

Is it oil or water based on my interior doors ?

by nj3434 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi all new to the forum...
I want to paint my paneled doors with water based satinwood or egshell.
Having done some reading on the net ..you should not paint water base paint over oil based...
The doors are stiil very white ..look semi gloss or satin and were painted about 5 years ago.
How can tell if they were painted with oil or water base painted..

Thanks 1st time painter...

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:56 am

Hi, if you prepare the doors properly it should not make any difference if you use water or oil based paint. One way to tell if it's oil based is to burn a bit of it off. Oil based paint bubbles off quite easily but waterbased is a lot harder to get off.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Thats a 1st for me. Wonder how i will cover water marks now?? :lol:

Good sand and what ever you like. I usually undercoat with oil and use waterbased gloss if i need it to dry for papering.

I can tell by the look if its oil/water based. but you van also tell by smell when you sand and, Also by touch.

nj3434
Labourer
Labourer

by nj3434 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

How would I prepare the doors'
Is it sand down and paint or sand and undercoat for water base paint finish.
1st DIY paint job..

Thanks..

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:31 am

Hi, whether you use oil or waterbased paint the preparation should be the same. Give them a good sanding if needed and clean any grease or dirt off. Try this link for the order to paint them. It may not be exactly the same panel door as you have but it will give you an idea. Before giving them the top coat lightly sand to get rid of any tiny bits that may be on them and will show through top coat and then use a tack cloth to pick up any dust on them.

Google "simplifydiy.com/painting-and-decorating/doors/panelled-door"

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:43 am