Is it ok to exchange 3 smaller radiators for 1 big one?

Postby asten59 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I have got 3 radiators in my living room. 1 long one and 2 short ones under the windows.

Would it be ok to swop them all for one big one as long as the BTUs of the big one was the same as the combined 3 radiators?

Is it important that radiators are distributed around a room, or is it fine to just have one stonkin big radiator.

My living room is 6m x 5m.

1 big one would be better aethetically, but I don't want to spoil the heating of my living room which has evenly spread rads at present.

Cheers
asten59
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DEEARR2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:22 pm

You have more or less answered your own question in that if the existing btu output from the 3 rads is sufficient to heat the room then, 1 large radiator of the same output will do the same job.
DEEARR2
Progress to next rank:
73.3%

Postby Kenj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:11 am

While one large radiator will emit the same amount of heat, it will all come from one area of the room. This wiil inevitably result in hot and cold areas within this large room.

It is advisable to place a radiator under a window to nullify the cold from the window. Hence the radiator arrangement that you have seems well thought out. I would leave well alone, if I were you.
Kenj
Progress to next rank:
20%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!