Is it ok to exchange 3 smaller radiators for 1 big one?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
asten59
Labourer
Labourer

Is it ok to exchange 3 smaller radiators for 1 big one?

by asten59 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm

I have got 3 radiators in my living room. 1 long one and 2 short ones under the windows.

Would it be ok to swop them all for one big one as long as the BTUs of the big one was the same as the combined 3 radiators?

Is it important that radiators are distributed around a room, or is it fine to just have one stonkin big radiator.

My living room is 6m x 5m.

1 big one would be better aethetically, but I don't want to spoil the heating of my living room which has evenly spread rads at present.

Cheers

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 pm

You have more or less answered your own question in that if the existing btu output from the 3 rads is sufficient to heat the room then, 1 large radiator of the same output will do the same job.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:11 am

While one large radiator will emit the same amount of heat, it will all come from one area of the room. This wiil inevitably result in hot and cold areas within this large room.

It is advisable to place a radiator under a window to nullify the cold from the window. Hence the radiator arrangement that you have seems well thought out. I would leave well alone, if I were you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1