Is it ok to Loose-fill over joists?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Is it ok to Loose-fill over joists?

Post by Zacccc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

My kitchen, bathroom and box bedroom are built onto the back of roughly one half of my mid-terrace 1930(ish) street house - so they extend the house into the backyard space. So the loft space is in two parts, both of which have fibreglass roll insulation between the joists. This was put down about 30 years ago and I think it was either 100 or 150mm.

The main part of the loft (a sort of A section) is boarded out over the insulation. To increase the insulation to 270mm in this part I'm going to put down insulation boards over the boards which are already down.

The question I have is with regard to the other part of the loft space which is mainly over the bathroom and box bedroom. This part is not boarded out. Here, the floor of the loft goes a step down and there are under purlins every 450mm just before the step down, making it a very difficult area to access. What I am going to do is just pour loose-fill insulation into this space and then level it out at 170mm above the current level using a long rake. This will mean that the loose-fill insulation will completely cover the joists in that area. Is it ok to do this or are there any problems with doing it this way? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is it ok to Loose-fill over joists?

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 am

yes that's fine so long as you leave the eaves clear to allow airflow into the attic

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Zacccc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks mate. I felt I needed to check because whatever I've read always talks about pouring up to the level of the joists so I wondered if there might be a problem just laying a load of loosefill completely covering them but you've set my mind at rest that it's ok to do it that way.

Can you recommend any particular type of loosefill insulation?

Appreciated your help, thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

you can use vermiculite

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Zacccc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm