is it possible to 'over prime' a wall?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

is it possible to 'over prime' a wall?

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:52 pm

just sealing my bathroom ready for tiling. using a latex primer. tiling over ply here and there so used a 1:1 mix. used the same mix on the walls.

i primed the walls twice with this mix - both times the primer made the plaster wet and it soaked in.

it was brand new plaster so i thought i'd give it a good couple of coats.

now reading the manufacturers instructions it says use 1:4 mix - much weaker and only one coat for plaster. 1:1 for wood.

so are my tiles going to fall off? will the second coat of latex peel from the first? as both coats soaked in i doubt it, just wondered if anyone has any relative experience.

richm
Apprentice
Apprentice

by richm » Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 pm

If this helps, I've been told before by a tiler friend that unless the sealant on a newly plastered wall is thin enough to soak in abit & dry with the plaster to form one solid backing, there is a chance that if the sealant is too thick & is tiled over there is a possibility that all can 'peel' off in time including the tiles I'm afraid .

Hope this helps

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 am

Chris

What primer are you using?

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 am

Richm

What "sealant" are you talking about?

Cheers

richm
Apprentice
Apprentice

by richm » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:15 pm

you can now buy a specially formulated matt emulsion for new plaster which he waters down & adds pva before tiling. It's the same as a decorator's 'miss' coat on new plaster, as , if you just paint a newly plastered ceiling with a 'vinyl' matt emulsion, there is a chance it will peel off as the vinyl in the paint stops it soaking in the plaster & therefore is on the surface of the plaster
Regards

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 pm