Is it Possible to Wire my Loft and my Cellar on my one Remaining 13a MCB?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heyylisten
Labourer
Labourer

Is it Possible to Wire my Loft and my Cellar on my one Remaining 13a MCB?

by heyylisten » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Just moved into a new home in November and got some electrical work done so the whole house is now running on a brand new CU. In the initial plan we didn't want to do the loft and cellar right away however I recently got laid off so plan to utilise the cellar a lot more!

Obviously I need to get someone in to do this, however just want to know if it is possible to run 1 light and 1 receptacle in loft, and 2 lights + 2 receptacles in the cellar off one MCB? They are very unlikely to be used at the same time, as it is just myself and my wife that would be in the loft!

I understand that using more power may make the lights dim, but is this a concern with a setup like this? Would I be better to add the sockets to an existing socket ring?

Any help would be appreciated

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is it Possible to Wire my Loft and my Cellar on my one Remaining 13a MCB?

by ericmark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:11 am

Yes there are many options including using FCU and sub CU the main idea is a 2.5mm cable can't take a load over 20 amp and a lamp is limited to 16 amp max but often 6 amp is max so be it a switched FCU being used as light switch or MCB size is 6 amp it does not matter I depends what you need.

You could use a 10mm cable and feed a mini consumer unit using a 50 amp MCB to feed second consumer unit. It all depends on what you need.

Remember dangers involved if power trips. Be it an emergency light or other means the regulations require splitting into circuits to avoid danger but really down to common sense.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:53 pm