Is Merging two Light Switches a Simple Task?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sheffielddiyguy
Labourer
Labourer

Is Merging two Light Switches a Simple Task?

by sheffielddiyguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 am

Morning chaps, long time browser of this forum. You should all rest safe in the knowledge that your advice has helped me renovate our entire house in the last 8 months. (Just in time for baby no. 1)

So yeah, normally I leave electrics to the electricians but this one seems far too simple to call a sparky in.

I have 2 light switches in my attic room adjacent to each other. The first is a simple 1 way to a ceiling rose. The other is a 2 way to a 2nd switch downstairs that powers a different lamp.

Currently I have to switch on the light at the bottom of the stairs, walk up and then switch on the main light at the separate switch.

My question is this, can I just take the wires from switch one and merge them with switch 2 so both lamps work at the same time? I figure it should be simple but like I said earlier. Electrics make me nervous! haha

Cheers chaps... Really appreciate any advice.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is Merging two Light Switches a Simple Task?

by Mr White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:01 pm

In theory it only needs the switch wire of one switch connecting to the switch wire of the other switch, but it will cause confusion (if it works) later.

I would say no, don't do it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm