Is my air raid shelter safe and...
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
neilos
Labourer
Labourer

Is my air raid shelter safe and...

Post by neilos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 pm

I live in a house built in the 1920's. The back garden has an air raid shelter built and and used during WW2. I have used the shelter for storing paint for the past 10 years. I am considering clearing it out and letting my lads use it as a den etc.
Before I do so I want to make sure it is safe.
The shelter is built underground, it has brick steps leading down to the shelter the roof of which looks like it is built from concrete slab material (bigger than paving slabs) and brick walls. It has a steel lintel/gurder in the middle of the roof which although looks solid has rust on it. The shelter is covered by earth and a rockery and has a chimney/fresh air vent. It is solidy built but is very damp.
Can someone advise any structural safety checks I can undertake before allowing children to use it.
Another issue is that the shelter extends part way under my empty neighbours garden (the neighbours used to share the shelter during air raids). Could new neighbours fill in their section of the shelter without my permission?
Thanks neilos

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm