Is this allowed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this allowed

Post by snake007uk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:14 am

Just wondering if:

Links deleted, no external links allowed in the forum unless approved by www.diydoctor.co.uk. Plaese explain your questions in text.

The first picture I am trying to keep a ring circuit and on the second I am doing a radial I believe

would these sockets handle all normal loads, TV, Video, dvd player, Electric heater maybe even Air conditioning unit?

Is either one allowed? is it safe? which would be better, would that many junction boxes be allowed?

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Jeffmo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:37 pm

In theory both are acceptable , all you are doing is ,each junction box is taking place of a socket so that means you can spur off each one as you would with a socket on a ring or radial ,(only one spur allowed off each j/b or socket ) your problem might arise as regards j/b because they all have to be accessible for inspection . If on ground floor and under floor then this is not a problem if you have a inspection hatch to go under or lift at point of j/b. Upstairs is more dificult because they would be under floorboards ,possibly carpeted or laminate .You must ensure that you can phsically get to them. Hope this helps .Regards Jeff

snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snake007uk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Thank you for your reply, I thought maybe the having so many junction boxes may cause a load on the junction (although they will be 30amp JB).

Also I wasnt sure if you were allowed to the ring like that.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:28 am

Firstly please see our project on Part P of the building regulations. It is against the law to contravene these regulations and, as well as being extremely dangerous your home insurance and resale ability may be affected.
Last edited by thedoctor on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snake007uk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:03 am

Hi,

I wasnt planning to implement anything, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine, and we got into this debate wheather this was allowed or not, so I thought I would ask, as the previous user as replied saying this is ok (assuming he knows what he is talking about) I cant see how this would break regulations?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:34 am

We are not suggesting you have set out to break any regs but we have a self imposed obligation to make sure all users of our site are aware of the new legislation contained in Part P. It is only to protect those who go blindly into home electrical projects assuming they can do what they like in their own homes forgetting that one day that home will probably belong to someone else who has the right to turn on a switch without being fried!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:21 am