Is this supporting my bathroom ceiling or can I remove it?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lynguss
Labourer
Labourer

Is this supporting my bathroom ceiling or can I remove it?

by lynguss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi

I couldn't decide which category to put this in so apologies if not the best one.

We're installing a new bathroom and want to remove a 5" x 5" structure that runs up one wall adjacent to the window and across the ceiling in front of the bath - the ceiling part has coving attached.

It could be just to partly partition off the bath and purely aesthetic, but want to check that it isn't supporting the small flat roof above (dormer window). There's no access to roof.

The structure (can't think of the right word!) is plasterboard covered timber - not sure what size the timber is - it could be 3" x 3".

Size of bathroom (and ceiling!) is 6ft x 9ft. I have photos but not sure if it's possible to post them here. Do let me know if it is - thanks.

Is there any way of telling if it's structural and whether it is safe to take down as it is not very attractive.

Would appreciate any advice - many thanks.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Host your pics on imageshack or photobucket the post the link here.

Cheers

Zecis
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Zecis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm

You could take of the plasterboard - then you will see where it is actually connecting to the rest of the house/room.... and discover more about it. The catch is, that if it turns out to be required you will have to re plasterboard it again.

Adam,

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm