Isloating ceiling lights and wall switch to not use again
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Agent_Blue
Labourer
Labourer

Isloating ceiling lights and wall switch to not use again

by Agent_Blue » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi, I am about to skim the artex in our lounge, whilst at it I wish to remove the two ceiling lights and fill in the holes, I also want to remove the light swich and fill over. Can I isolate the room? The house is late 80's with a new consumer unit, do I leave all the wires in the blocks and just tape up?
Thanks for any help

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Isloating ceiling lights and wall switch to not use agai

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:25 pm

[quote="Agent_Blue"]Hi, I am about to skim the artex in our lounge, whilst at it I wish to remove the two ceiling lights and fill in the holes, I also want to remove the light swich and fill over. Can I isolate the room? The house is late 80's with a new consumer unit, do I leave all the wires in the blocks and just tape up?
Thanks for any help[/quote]
AGENT BLUE

IDEALLY ISOLATE SUPPLY AND PULL WIRES UP THROUGH
ABOVE CEILING AND TERMINATE IN JOINT BOXES. MAKE A DIAGRAM
FIRST 2 PUT WIRES BACK TOGETHER CORRECTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROOM SWITCH SHOULD BE ON A LIGHTING CIRCUIT MCB, WHICH
CAN BE ISOLATED. THE SWITCH WIRE AT THE LIGHTING POINT END
CAN BE DISCONNECTED WHEN JOINT BOXING.
THIS WOULD RENDER YOUR LIGHT SWITCH DEAD .
U MUST NOT LEAVE LIVE CABLES BURIED AS NEXT PERSON WOULD NOT KNOW IT WAS THERE AND COULD PIERCE IT WITH DANGEROUS
CONSEQUENCES. GET IT CHECKED AFTERWARDS.
BLAKEY1963

Agent_Blue
Labourer
Labourer

by Agent_Blue » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks for that, had a moment as first light had four seperate cables running to it, and second light had one, using battery and multimeter worked out which ones they were, isolated pulled through and now gone, used junction box for others, isolated wall switch, every thing works, fantastic. Typicaly that night there were three power cuts. Admission time, my Dad came over, and did most of the work in return for all the times I have sorted his IT issues.
Thanks for the reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm