Join between masonry and plaster wall?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Toby T
Labourer
Labourer

Join between masonry and plaster wall?

by Toby T » Sun May 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi,

A friend has asked me to insulate his timberframe porch stuck onto a masonry building. I'm planning to put in the insulation and then dryline as the owner does not want wet plastering.

At present the joins between the timber and masonry wall are cover with some wood trim. What would be the best way to do away with the trim and make a nice continual join? I was thinking of using scrim tape over the join as with the other dryline joints, but this may leave a raised surface on the masonry wall?Would it really be best to wet plaster?

Much appreciate any advice.
Toby

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon May 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Toby T,
You will never successfully join a plasterboard and masonry wall which is why the join is currently covered with a fillet.
end

Toby T
Labourer
Labourer

Connection

by Toby T » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, I thought that might be that might be the case.

Maybe it would be better plastered, and not dry-lined. I've been recommended to possibly chisel back the plaster on the masonry side, as well as the stud on the p.board side, then put a strip of metal lath down it and plaster over. Does this sound a good plan?

Just worried it might crack, though it looks a fairly solid ..

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Toby T,
Yes you could try that but I suggest you use wide strips of stainless expandmesh over the join area.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 am