Joining Cables behind Plasterboard

Postby martynfogg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello,

I need to move a socket around a metre lower and therefore need to extend the cable, which is a spur from a socket in the room above. The access from above is very difficult so running a completely new cable would be quite disruptive.

What is the correct way to extend a cable behind plasterboard? I think part P says that all connections have to be 'accesible', but what does that mean exactly. Is it acceptable to use a junction box, if the wall is then plastered over?

Many thanks,

Martyn
martynfogg

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:40 am

The type of join will determine if it needs to be accessible. There are now JB's that use a spring clip arrangement and can be used where inaccessible also there are crimp and solder connections.
I would consider where the sheaf is removed then the cable should be placed in a device that replaces the sheaf as well as joining the wires together for example a junction box with cable grips or epoxy shrink sleeve.
There are so many options I would advise a visit to local electrical whole sale outlet not a DIY outlet and ask and then decide what is best in your case.
It will not have screws in it though as screws can work lose.
Eric
ericmark

Postby martynfogg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks, that's really helpful.

How about soldering the wires together and putting sleeving over each of the earth, live and neutral and then sleeving over the whole lot?
martynfogg

Postby ericmark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 pm

OK if you can solder Western role method is what I use but I am a little reserved in recommending solder as so many people can't solder.
Eric
ericmark

Sort by
Order by