Joining slate roof to coping stones
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

broste1980
Labourer
Labourer

Joining slate roof to coping stones

by broste1980 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi! everyone this is my first post having only just found the site so all replies are gratefully received and appreciated.

My question as you have probably guessed is regarding going a roof (slate) to coping stones. Our roof abuts (if thats the correct term) the next door neighbours coping stones, I understand that normally the stones would be lifted then tiles/slated under and the stones re-bedded and pointed. The problem is the next door neighbours will not agree to this. so i'm looking for advice. My thought would be to remove any debris from under/within the coping and point this flat, then use a secret gutter/continuous soaker. I know that normally you would then use flashing on the soaker (secret gutter) my problem is that the hight from the roof beams to the top of the coping stones is 160mm leaving approximately 110mm when 25mm batten and approximately 25mm for the slates e.g. 3 slates overlapped. There is no wall to allow the use of flashing e.g. to channel out and if I use the continuous soaker I can't use mortar since this will sit in the gutter. I had thought of using lead replacement flashing that sticks to the wall.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:38 pm