joints opening
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thesween
Labourer
Labourer

joints opening

Post by thesween » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 am

i laid a new oak floating floor last summer and now some of the joints are opening tried some straps but would'nt budge any ideas

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Opening as in in a doorway where there is heavy foot traffic and the planks are just coming apart or opening as in the floor is rising in places? Can you upload some pics to a picture hosting site and give us the url?

Cheers

thesween
Labourer
Labourer

Post by thesween » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 am

[quote="rosebery"]Opening as in in a doorway where there is heavy foot traffic and the planks are just coming apart or opening as in the floor is rising in places? Can you upload some pics to a picture hosting site and give us the url heers[/quote]yes sorry not enough information layed solid oak t & g over chipboard subfloor glued joints (floating) now joints opening up esp in kitchen lots of traffic boards touching either end opening in middle please help not my floor favour 4pal

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Touching at ends and opening in the middle. Oh dear. That's a problem associated with humidity in the property and moisture content of the boards and possibly mositure rising from the sub-floor.

Solid flooring really should not be laid as a floating floor. It should either be secret nailed through the tongues or glued down to the sub floor. Oh - you said the sub-floor is chipboard. Sorry but secret nailing isn't an option then - it should be glued down.

You can get away with glueing the t&g on an engineered floor but not on a solid wood floor I'm afraid.

It sounds like you may be having to take it up and relay it.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:15 am