Joists sistering' - best method??
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FlipityJipity
Labourer
Labourer

Joists sistering' - best method??

Post by FlipityJipity » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi everyone - this is my first post (but probably not my last!)

I'm converting an old stone outhouse into a holiday home and have removed a very old staircase. x4 floor joists (8x2) had been cut out to make room for this staircase and were being held up by a prop and 6x6 piece of wood.

The stairs are being relocated so I now need to extend the joists, by 1100mm, back to their original length and have them sitting on the wall plate as the other joists do.

My question is which is the prefered way to do this:

a) Do I cut a length of 8x2 so that it can sit on the wall plate and overlap it with the cut joist by 500mm and bolt them together with 3 or 4 bolts.

or

b) cut a length of 8x2 so the it fits into the existing wall plate hole and butts up end to end with the cut joist and then cut another 1m length of 8x2 to be bolted onto the side of both the existing joist and the newly cut joist (500mm on both)

or does it make little difference structurally and both methods are acceptable?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or other methods.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

joining timbers

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Use 8x2 and overlap by 1metre then bolt together using 3, 10mm bolts and dogwashers to bite into the timbers.

FlipityJipity
Labourer
Labourer

Re: joining timbers

Post by FlipityJipity » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:38 am

welsh brickie wrote:Use 8x2 and overlap by 1metre then bolt together using 3, 10mm bolts and dogwashers to bite into the timbers.

Many thanks Welsh Brickie - that's this morning's next few hours taken care off - keeps me out the rain I guess!! Cheers FlipityJipity

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:10 am