Junction Box Spur use for socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Junction Box Spur use for socket

by snake007uk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:08 pm

hey guys,

I have a couple of questions:

1) is there a limit to how many juction boxes you can have on one ring?
2) If you use a junction box to add additional sockets, can you then use a spur off the socket to continue your ring? so not to have a radial setup?

i.e

Consumer unit-----Socket----Junction box---Socket----socket---juction box----- back to Consumer unit.

Also how about...

Consumer Unit -----socket----junction box spur ----Socket -----socket-- back to consumber unit

in the second example I have made a ring out of the spur but the junction main circuit could carry on?

I hope I have made sense :)

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Not sure I follow this so will try to lay out 'rules/ideas' of ring circuits.
A ring circuit starting at con.unit then loops in/out of sockets and returns to same term. in con.unit.
It can have an unlimited number of sockets on the ring as long as total floor area of the circuit does not exceed 100m2, (1000ft2)
spurs may be taken from sockets on the ring (max 1 dbl/spur), or from Joint boxes in ring cable (1 dbl/spur).
Other restriction is no more skts spurred than number on the ring, ie
12 on ring, up to 12 as spurs with one dbl, or single or fused connection unit per spur.
You must not 'loop-back' ie form double ring (like fig 8 shaped circuit)
Hope this clarifies situation, regards SPARX

Hyoumper
Labourer
Labourer

by Hyoumper » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:36 pm

hi,
Its ok to have junctuion boxes but it better to rewire the link in your ring main than to use a junction box. The more breaks that you have in a circuit can result in having more chance of a fault arising if not connected properly.

Yes, you can spur off of a junction box but only once per box.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 am