Junction boxes
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aria
Labourer
Labourer

Junction boxes

by aria » Mon May 14, 2007 10:30 pm

I've just completed adding a couple of extra sockets to the ring main. Job went well, simply cutting into existing ring main, adding junction box to branch off to new socket, then back to second junction box to link back into ring main. Extension probably no more than 5 meters or so to ring mian.

I've just realised that I didnt actually secure the junction boxes to anything. They are under floorboards, simply resting on the top of the ceiling below.

Since all the advice on this topic says to fix them, is this considered a problem? i.e. should I relift floorboards to secure either to the joist or a batton, or should they be ok as is?

Sorry if a daft question.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi, not daft question at all!
the main reason for fixing to cross batten (noggin) is to lift cables clear of ceiling in case later someone tries to cut into ceiling ,say to fit the dreaded 'down lighters', so ideally cables should be clipped and jb's mounted in centre 1/3 of depth of joist so max distance from above & below,
Regards SPARX

aria
Labourer
Labourer

by aria » Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Many thanks Sparx.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am